Tuesday, September 13, 2022

FALL MUSINGS OF SEASONS PAST

 

It's true--- the official first day of FALL is September 22nd! Gosh I'm at a point in my life that they days seem to "fly by!" This post has taken some digging for me....by that I mean I've dug into my archived blog posts and have selected some of my past posts that reflect the season of Autumn. I hope you enjoy them....

First a throwback to the Princeton days and our traditional porch. Fall is always lovely in the North. This porch was roomy so I was able to add more touches of Fall colors. DIY Monograming the faux white pumpkin was something new for me that year. I always enjoy yellow Mums for a bit of contrast. This porch was good size and I was able to add levels of interest by way of flowers pots, planters holding spiral evergreens, and the lower pots that are filled with orange seeded twigs and pumpkins. I created the purple, gold and orange grapevine wreath so that it stood out against our black door.


Below was a simple vignette----I added the Terracotta pumpkin lit with battery operated lights inside and it was a perfect contrast against the orange floral next to it.  (Of course our baby granddaughter was the icing on the vignette!) Just a nice touch of Fall.


Below is a front porch from our last home. I used this beautifully painted pot with my typical Mums and Prairie grasses. The small bale of hay I purchased at Hobby Lobby and I found the sweet small pumpkin in Publix. I always spray paint my pumpkins (with clear laqcquer) to preserve their longevity. It actually makes them shiny and they do last longer! The copper lantern is one of a set of two I have had for years....


I try to keep my mantel's simple when it comes to decorating them. The vases below I found in HomeGoods many years ago. I simply added Fall twigs some with leaves and some without. Soooo easy!

Staying with the theme of "simple" adding just a simple Terracotta pumpkin with battery operated lights inside completed the look. (It is sitting on a small 4-legged stool to give it some height.)



Below is our foyer mirror  for that "quick peek" at yourself as you enter. This is another easy thing to do. I have a collection of white pitchers and this size fit perfectly on the cabinet. Adding the fall twiggy sprays and the gold tray it added a little glitz to compliment the table and the mirror.



Making a "simple" vignette (as you see below) is so easy too. Grab "3" of anything that will give you varying heights in maybe a surprise color (blue delft worked for me) and then compliment your addition with a Fall spray of colorful leaves.




In our formal living room a glass topped iron coffee table sat in front of the sofa. I added my gold tray topped with a blue vase with Burgundy Cockscomb and Fall twigs for color. Scattering chestnuts around gives a nice Fall touch too.



Our kitchen dining table needed just a little something. So this wooden bowl came in handy. I added faux gourds, tiny corn cobs, and Fall leaves for color and texture. The base is two of my Fall placemats.


We hosted a Fall Cocktail party and below is how I decorated the punch table. I simply added a round burlap tablecloth and then taped Fall leaves scattered about round the perimeter of the cloth. The punch bowl ice ring had beautiful burgundy cranberries frozen in it. You will notice a gold pumpkin near the vase as well. I used a simple spray paint to add a little glitz to the beverage table pumpkin.



I'm always looking for ideas for planting containers for each season. I LOVE Fall planting the most. Using colorful Mums, grasses, ornamental cabbage plants, fall leaves and of course the "token pumpkin" create such a beautiful Fall display.



If you like simple...the below photo is an easy DIY project for you! First purchase a square wire wreath frame. I added faux Fall leaves, pheasant feathers, and chestnuts to the perimeter. For the hanger I used a piece of burlap ribbon for texture. It's so easy!





Below is my version of a Fall Tablescape. I used the same table as you see above with the punch bowl. I topped the Burlap
tablecloth with a beautiful colorful fabric. After measuring my table I actually used a square piece of fabric to create the topper look. The only sewing I did was creating a hem around the perimeter, which I did on my sewing machine.
The candelabra, place settings, china, napkin holders, and placemats all added color and texture tying in the outdoor setting by the stacked
 fireplace wood.



I hope you've enjoyed my post today. The sky's the limit when it comes to decorating. It's all up to your creativity! It's funny how a pile of fireplace wood can look so beautiful in this setting....isn't it?

                                        Have a wonderful Fall!

                                              Kathleen



4 comments:

  1. I think it's fun to revisit past decor (and homes {wink}). I love your tablescape, blue & white chinoiserie with cockscomb, and the container planter with all the vivid colors. Happy [almost] fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita,
    Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comments. I've always loved decorating for Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did the same thing with revisiting my past homes and some of my fall decor. Fun to go back and look at the different decor ideas. Then I say now what that heck happened to that piece lol? Have a great week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, Thanks so much for stopping by TLB. I guess
      "great minds" think alike when it comes to blogging ideas. I too look at things and say...where is that now? Take care,
      Kathleen

      Delete