Wednesday, April 18, 2018

FRESH NEW COLOR

It's so rewarding and fun to refresh a home! I think it's my favorite part of home ownership. A couple years ago we tackled the kitchen renovation in our vacation house.


My painter knew I loved the color I had on the walls, but we had no idea what the name was. He was so sweet bringing sample after sample of Benjamin Moore paint chips to the house until we found a very close match to the old paint. It is called Van Alen Green HC-120. It's a great soothing color that reminds me of Spring, and in Florida it works great all year in the mild climate. It really looks beautiful with crisp white cabinets and trim.


The current wall color is in the creamy gold family. It was on trend in 2004 when we first bought the house. I really loved it then, but now we've decided we need a change. The house was a spec house so everything was builder white when we moved in. Having a blank canvas is always nice!

My Mom and Dad flew down from NY and spent time with me. Mom and I painted the large areas together and I finished the 3 bedrooms and 2 baths when they left. I remember how exhausting it was! My Mom was such a trooper. Dad was there for support and did a great job of that watching his favorite TV shows! Lots of great memories!!

Today the living room looks like this...... All of the furnishings were changed out a few years ago and that is when we brought the Linen/Gray and Navy furniture into the room. The sofa and love seat are a great neutral in this space and the Navy is one of my most favorite colors to decorate with. Some of you may remember that my framed Coral prints were acknowledged in HGTV magazine as a DIY project. (I may be proud of that acknowledgment!)


The family room and dining room are open to one another making the house seems larger than it is. While browsing paint samples I have to keep in mind it's almost one big room. There are 3 bedrooms and a bath that shoot off this one room and a hallway. We use one bedroom as a dual purpose room. It's an office for hubby, and bedroom with a daybed and pull out trundle underneath for extra guest sleeping. It works great!

Sample of family room furniture fabric for matching the wall color. It's a great neutral base to begin building the palette from.



I've browsed the "2018" paint trends on various sites looking for the perfect neutral that will coordinate with Van Alen Green. Since the brand is Benjamin Moore I decided to check out their paint choices and they recommend Pigeon Gray and Frostline as complimentary colors. 

Benjamin Moore does a nice job of pairing three suggested colors together. Frostline was the lightest and that is one of my choices. 

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-a-room/saved-color-selections/?color=HC-120&combination=2133-50,AF-5

I've also found Joanna Gaines' 2018 color release from Magnolia Home. In her choices was Shiplap JG-22, a creamy weathered white a possibility too!

http://www.kilz.com/magnolia/color/shiplap-JG-22

So now it's off to Benjamin Moore and Ace Hardware for samples to bring home and tape everywhere.

Thanks for joining TLB today as I get back into the groove! Hope things are going well in your world! Remember to tell your friends about us.....they can sign up online at--
http://thelavenderbouquet.blogspot.com


                                                        Kathleen




No comments:

Post a Comment