Wednesday, April 11, 2018

CHIC DIY INSPIRATION


Welcome to Wednesday TLB friends!

Today's blog is all about INSPIRATION! I find inspiration all around me. Truth be told, and my husband will attest to this, much of my inspiration comes from something that is usually over my budget. That's where my inner DIY girl comes into play. There's a certain satisfaction that I get when recreating something that has a hefty price tag on a modest budget.

Today I've taken a dated Pier One 6-drawer chest (2004), and turned it into something that is not only useful, but beautiful! It all started with the photo below that I found while leafing through catalogs.

I was drawn to the colors and how chic they were together. Hence a version of this color combo quickly became my Inspiration!




In a recent blog I told you about updating our Florida house inside and out. The chest below was previously used in our Master bedroom, but since we brought our Master bedroom furniture from the TX house there was no need for this chest any longer. I just couldn't part with it. The storage is phenomenal in this chest, and since we needed more storage it was an easy decision to keep the chest and repurpose it.

In the photo below I have left the two top drawers in so that you get a visual of what all of the drawers looked like in the honey wicker cabinet.

I started mulling over a new purpose for the piece. When I saw the inspiration piece above, I thought how beautiful it would be in a two-tone paint scheme.  The piece itself would be perfect for our dining room as a multipurpose piece. I envisioned setting up a buffet style meal, or a bar set-up or even a tall beachy vase filled with palm leaves.







Hubby and I took a trip to Lowe's and bought several cans of Valspar Gloss Black Project Perfect Paint + Primer Gloss. It's works well on wood, metal, wicker and more! I started painting on the side of the chest and loved the two tone look!
It was very close to the inspiration photo.




Below is after the final Black Glossy coat. I sprayed 3 coats of Valspar, and let it dry thoroughly in between.





The color of the original wicker is a Golden Honey color. It varies a bit from the inspiration photo that I began with, but is still a nice compliment. The cabinet with the drawers below,
make the chest look a little more polished and will integrate well into our dining room.

I'm really happy with the final product, but am still working on what to hang above the chest. Maybe a decorative mirror or a colorful piece of artwork. And then there's populating the top with something  "pretty/practical" or both! I'll share that in another blog when I find just the right decor to make this piece pop!



I hope I've inspired you to look around your home for something that just needs a little TLC to restore it back to life!

 Have a great weekend!


                           Kathleen












No comments:

Post a Comment