Tuesday, September 20, 2016

CLOUDY GLASS DILEMMA

Wow----it's Tuesday already!

We spent the weekend in Chicago with our youngest daughter. Hubby had a convention to attend on Friday, so my daughter and I had a grand ole time during the days with daddy joining us on Saturday! I'll be sharing our adventures in an upcoming blog.

Today is all about "my cloudy glass dilemma."  


Since we moved into the house a month ago,  I have cleaned my 2 island pendants 3 times!! By cleaning, I mean taking them down, washing them, drying them and rehanging them. It scares me each time I remove the globes. The wrought iron bracket sits underneath the lip of the globe and is held in place by the 3 hangers with loops on each end. Kind of a dicey task!

 Out of all of my house selections, I "may", and I hate to say this because I LOVE them, have made a selection mistake! Here's the pendant before cleaning....notice the cloudiness? It feels like a film on it when you touch it.



For the life of me I cannot figure out why and how they are becoming so cloudy in such a short period of time.  I do not fry food, as a matter a fact, I use the oven or microwave more than the cook top.

The globes are Flemish glass, which I thought was a good idea so that the dust wouldn't show as much! But it's not dust that is making the globes filmy. There isn't any dust on them.

I've  tried washing them with good old fashioned dish soap and hot water, but the film just reappears within a week or so. We've checked out furnace/AC filters and they are clean. We have not had the windows open, because it's been in the 90's!  Have any of you had this kind of issue? When I surfed online I did see a couple of comments regarding this, but it sounded like they fried a lot of foods. I'm completely baffled.

I found a homemade glass cleaner recipe on line that I tried today. The globes sparkle after using it. I am hoping that this works. They sure do look beautiful and shiny right now....fingers crossed they remain this way for a LONG time!





The recipe I found is as follows:

ALVIN CORN HOMEMADE GLASS CLEANER

* 1/4 cups rubbing alcohol
* 1/4 cup white vinegar
* 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 2 cups warm water

Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well. Shake well before using, as the
cornstarch might settle at the bottom.

Link to the recipe:
http://crunchybetty.com/battle-of-the-homemade-glass-cleaners

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and ideas on how to remedy the situation of my " cloudy glass!" I'll keep you posted if I've found the MIRACLE CURE! 

Feel free to drop me a comment with your suggestions or what works for you.

                                           Have a wonderful "cloudy free" day!

                                                        Kathleen






No comments:

Post a Comment