Friday, April 1, 2016

SECOND BEST BOLOGNESE

Welcome to Foodie Friday TLB friends!

I'm back this week with a  Bolognese recipe that I think you'll all enjoy. I will warn you it is a bit time consuming, but worth the effort.

 I have a personal story about Bolognese that I would like to share with you.....


One of my very dear friends invited hubby and I over for dinner one night. She made the most "delicious" Bolognese.  My husband rarely remarks about food, but that evening and from then on, he would tell everyone..."Wendy makes THE BEST BOLOGNESE EVER!" She would always laugh when I told this story, and when she heard him say this.

As I was browsing the Better Homes and Gardens February issue, a Bolognese recipe was featured. It was a Step by Step photographed recipe, so I thought I'd give it a try. I knew I'd never "top" Wendy's in my husband's eyes, but I thought I would give the recipe a try.

There is quite a bit of chopping, making the recipe a bit timely to prepare. 



Browning is the beginning of the flavors melding together.

 
Deglazing the pan when you add the wine helps the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan to release.  In the end, after reducing the heat, adding milk, nutmeg and tomatoes and letting the liquid evaporate, the flavors intensify. Adding a rind from Parmesan cheese is a brilliant way to add more depth of flavor while simmering.


Served with a simple small salad, a glass of wine, and dinner is complete. You can use the pasta of your choice, but please keep in mind, the sauce is very filling. 

I froze some of the sauce (it freezes very well) and served it over spaghetti squash the second time around. Hubby weighed in after dinner, and said, "it was the "SECOND BEST BOLOGNESE" that he has ever had. 

Here is the link to the recipe:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/bolognese/

Unfortunately, my friend passed away late last Fall without ever being able to teach me her secrets. But somehow I have a feeling that her 3 daughters will each be able to make a "mean Bolognese" too! 


This is for you Wendy!



Fondly,


Katie













No comments:

Post a Comment