Tuesday, March 8, 2016

CHOOSING PERSONAL HOME DETAILS

Welcome to Tuesday at TLB!

I'm back after a bout with a terrible flu bug.....YUCK! It's been a long time since hubby and I have both been sick with a virus that literally took 10 days to leave. I sure hope none of you have experienced this bug....it's not been fun!

But never fear I have so much to share with you today. The house is moving along nicely, each week it starts to look more like home.

The final elevation color choices are.........





We now have windows, a roof, Styrofoam sheathing, plumbing, and HVAC! Yep, the weather has cooperated nicely and we are under cover as one week of rainy weather is predicted here in Texas this week!


While we have down time in the apartment I've been buying things that we will need for the house. A couple weeks ago I focused on area rugs and runners.

Starting at the front door, the foyer is always so important because it's the very first impression guests form as they enter. I love glamming it up a bit. Something shiny and rich in architectural detail is my preference.


We already have the perfect solution! Below is a photo of the server chest and mirror from the living room in our NJ house. The height, width, and beautiful lines are perfect proportions for the new foyer space. The mirror is a beautifully carved piece with wood inlay that will give the space just enough "Welcome glam!"


Unfortunately, the area rug that I used in NJ has too much burgundy in it, so I set out searching for a new area rug that would compliment our new color palette. This vintage Couristan Provincia 5 x 7 area rug (below) in beige/gray colors is perfect. I found this in Frontgate.




I love adding fun color to my laundry room by way of runners and accessories. Since I kept the cabinet and flooring selections pretty neutral, I searched for a runner that added both color and my love for design to break up the tile. 


I found this gem in Wayfair....Monaco Ocean Port Turquoise which will add such a soothing palette to the grays making the laundry room not so hum drum!

http://www.wayfair.com/Monaco-Ocean-Port-Turquoise-Sand-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-78811034-CU6402.html


And finally my last recent purchase was a runner for the kitchen. I love a good wool runner under my feet while working at the island or sink. My last runner from NJ had been used in my past 3 kitchens, so it was time for a replacement. 

Our new wood floor in the kitchen will be stained like this:



The perimeter cabinets are White Cap color, and the island is Maple wood stained Bistro color.


I chose a Safavieh runner with a black and gold trellis pattern on it. It will not only add comfort under foot, but the design gives the work area a luxurious look, while blending nicely with the color of the stain on the wood floor. 

http://www.wayfair.com/Safavieh-Chelsea-Black-Gold-Wilton-Trellis-Area-Rug-HK230D-FV1280.html




These photos give you a peek into some of the accessories that will be added to our already existing furnishings to help anchor our new color palette.

We are pretty fortunate that we don't have to re-furnish our entire home. Next week I'll share a few new furniture pieces we'll be adding to update our bedroom.

Thanks for stopping by TLB today!

                                                               Fondly,


                           Kathleen

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful choices, Kathleen! So sorry you've been sick, but the good news is all the work they accomplished while you were recovering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! You are correct....I was kind of a captive audience. :)

      Delete
  2. Please tell me about your wood flooring. I love the color. Is it wood planks, engineered, any infor would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing my floors and that is the color I am looking to use. Thanks and congrats on your new home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thanks so much. The flooring is solid wood, Red Oak. (nailed down) It is slightly hand scraped and is 3 1/4 wide. The stain is called Medium Brown. This wood is installed on site, hand scraped on site, and then stained and varnished on site. Hope this helps you! Good luck!
      Kathleen

      Delete