Friday, March 11, 2016

LIGHTING UP THE NEW HOUSE!


Welcome TLB friends!

In today's blog I'm sharing some of our lighting selections from the new house. Have you ever taken on the task of choosing the lighting for your entire home? Whether it is an existing home or you are building from scratch the process can be a daunting one. I have a motto I have established through the years when it comes to lighting selections, "I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want it to look like I did!"


When selecting our lighting for the master bathroom in our NJ house I stumbled upon a new vendor (to me) that I have fallen in LOVE with....it is SAVOY HOUSE! Their lines are so beautiful and while browsing a showroom and comparing prices, you will be amazed! They are not quite Home Depot prices, but if you are searching for unique beautiful fixtures at affordable pricing, I suggest you check out some of their fixtures. I have always said that  "God works in mysterious ways." As I met with my lighting designer for the house here in Texas, I asked her if they worked with a vendor called Savory House? Her response was, "we own Savoy House!" Talk about winning the lottery! 

Your lighting sets the mood for the room. It should be a direct reflection of your personal taste and should blend or compliment your style. Remember the function of the lighting is the most important part of making the selection. Is it purely decorative or maybe task lighting? 

I also like to take cues from the area we have moved to also. I always think "resale" in the back of my mind. For instance in the Midwest it may be more traditional styling or the West a bit more rustic.

We have a 2 story foyer in the new house which begs for a large chandelier. The area is high and also wide so I chose this 52 x 53.5 inch Savoy House 20 light Chandelier.  It screamed "Welcome to our Texas home y'all!" A little iron, a little crystal glitz and of course a dimmer to set the mood!



Share on Google+


http://www.houzz.com/photos/8210581/Savoy-House-1-3005-20-8-St-Laurence-20-Light-Chandelier-chandeliers

The living areas downstairs are "open concept" so our formal dining room is open to the foyer and the family room. The ceiling height is approximately 11 feet and has a room dimension of 12 x 13.
For the appropriate size chandelier you add the length and width of room together. Mine equals 25 and I bought a 28 inch wide chandelier. My choice is tiered with the 28 being at the largest tier, so my designer assured me we would be safe with my choice. 

Share on Google+


http://www.houzz.com/photos/8210406/Savoy-House-1-1398-9-256-Antoinette-9-Light-Chandelier-chandeliers

Our kitchen has an area with bay windows where our current round table and chairs will fit nicely overlooking the backyard.







I know that you are seeing a lot of Quaker style cabinets in kitchens today, and they are beautiful, I just am not that casual. I love a little luxury detail. The cabinet doors (below) are a timeless choice that accomplishes that added detail for me. We upgraded all of our cabinetry throughout the house.





Our perimeter cabinets are White cap. The island is Bistro color.

The chandelier below has a touch of French influence and a little bit of a rustic look that I like in the kitchen. This will hang above our kitchen table seen below.



Share on Google+



http://www.houzz.com/photos/27739845/Quoizel-Lighting-Auburn-6-Light-Chandelier-in-Rustic-Black-Finish-traditional-chandeliers

Two of the lanterns  (see below) will be spaced evenly over the island and will provide great task lighting (we also have recessed lighting in the paths)  as well as a touch of black to compliment the white and black kitchen. The seeded glass glistens when lit and adds a beautiful touch to the island area. It will be on a dimmer also.


1STOPlighting.com | Jefferson - Four Light Chain Hanging Lanternhttp://www.houzz.com/photos/10478645/Livex-Lighting-5085-07-Jefferson-Four-Light-Chain-Hanging-Lantern-traditional-ceiling-lighting


The Master Bathroom faucets are Moen Weymouth Chrome. I love shiny chrome and it will be used throughout the entire house.

Weymouth chrome two-handle high arc bathroom faucet - TS42108 - Moen

The light fixtures compliment the faucets. The chrome with white shades are a very traditional timeless look. These lights will be above each sink and my make-up area.

Share on Google+

http://www.houzz.com/photos/10139372/Savoy-House-8-1041-3-109-Murren-Three-Light-Bath-Bar-contemporary-bathroom-vanity-lighting


We have an oval soaking tub in the Master Bath and the chandelier below will be hung over the tub on a dimmer of course!


Forum Gold 4-Light 16 3/4" Wide Chandelier

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/forum-gold-4-light-16-and-three-quarter-inch-wide-chandelier__1c310.html?refpath=/products/chandeliers/type_pendant/

The lights below will be centered above each sink vanity in the 3 remaining bathrooms. Again, I carried the chrome throughout.
voy-House-8-1041-3-109-Murren-Three-Light-Bath-Bar-contemporary-bathroom-vanity-lighting



We have a small library that will become my office. This is the light that will be installed on the ceiling in my room.

Share on Google+



http://www.houzz.com/photos/24405556/Savoy-House-Grove-2-Light-Satin-Nickel-Semi-Flush-Mount-transitional-flush-mount-ceiling-lighting



This light will be hung above the vanity in the first floor Powder Room. Our vanity is an antique chest with black granite counter top. I'm currently searching for the perfect wallpaper!

Share on Google+



http://www.houzz.com/photos/21901774/Savoy-House-Lighting-8-1557-2-122-Forum-2-Light-Bathroom-Vanity-Lights-contemporary-bathroom-vanity-lighting


I hope you enjoyed browsing some of our lighting selections. I can't wait until we are at the point that lights can be installed! The electricians are working like beavers to complete the wiring this weekend!

                                        Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!



Fondly,


Kathleen

4 comments:

  1. You have made beautiful selections! You never disappoint! Love to be able to go through
    This process with you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty Mark,
      Thank you! I'd love to go through the process with you too!
      Kathleen

      Delete
  2. I love you selection of home lighting. But, your lighting taste is quite expensive isn't it right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyla,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I am so glad you enjoyed my selections. I've learned so much after building 8 homes and renovating 7 with my husband through the years. When we were first married our budgets were much different than they are today....however, whatever your budget is, there are gorgeous selections at every price point to suit everyone's personal taste.

    ReplyDelete