Friday, January 15, 2016

THRIFTY VALENTINE IDEAS

Welcome to Foodie Friday friends!

The New Year is shaping up to be a busy one. With the house moving along nicely we should have some concrete poured within a couple of weeks.....that is if inspections along the way don't hold us up. I know the importance of the inspections, but the excitement to physically see those studs started is killing me!

In the meantime, I'm seeing RED everywhere, in a good way of course! I thought I'd better jump on the Valentine wagon. Since time is so precious now-a-days here's a couple of quick and thrifty ideas I've created to share with you that hopefully, will save you time and money.

First of all look at these sweet little cookies, great for a sweet gift......





Besides using limited ingredients, and being the easiest cookie I've ever made....aren't they the cutest little dollops?

All you need is:

1 Box of Strawberry cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
Red sugar sprinkles
Heart shaped jelly bean candies ( I just used Starburst jelly beans---the recipe originator used Gimbal's, however, I could not find that brand....I think for future purposes old fashioned candy hearts would be great too!)




The recipe may be found by clicking the link below:
http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2016/01/valentines-day-cookie-recipe.html

When I think of  Valentine's Day I think chocolate (or sweet) and flowers....pretty traditional right? So let's talk about flowers.........red roses in particular. 

No longer is it necessary to order or purchase flowers from a florist. It's so great now to be able to go to the supermarket or big box stores and find quality, inexpensive, beautiful flowers.

So I headed to my local grocery store. I found a beautiful bouquet of red roses, ON SALE! Score!! Then I decided not to display them in just one vase, but to pull out the crystal vases, all gifts from hubby's travels to Ireland! I chose various sizes and played with them. 

This is my result......beautiful, simple and elegant!




Nothing says Happy Valentine's Day like a little something sweet and the beauty of a red rose! 




Wishing you all a very sweet and beautiful Valentine's Day!

Kathleen




2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen,
    Glad to hear the house is coming along. Soon you will be in your new nest. The cookies look so yummy.
    Katie when you have minute could you email me I have a few questions for you. Thanks.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen,

    Congratulations on your new home. It has to be a very exciting time for your family. The cookies look adorable and such an easy recipe to follow. I love the roses too. I buy my fresh flowers from my local supermarket too. I don't even go to the florist anymore.

    Have a great week.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete