Tuesday, January 19, 2016

NEW HOUSE COLOR PALETTE

Good Morning TLB friends!

I've been so busy I just couldn't wait to share my last few days with you. After browsing the pages of our home inventory that is in storage, I have come up with a plan for "most" of our furnishings. Of course I had to pass this by hubby, who seemed a bit skeptical, but open to conversation on what rooms were in need of updates. He immediately sees those dollar signs and starts to panic!



Most of our furniture was updated in 2002. At that time we purchased some classic pieces that have fared well through our moves and remain timeless. With that being said, the design of our homes has evolved dependant on the area of the US that we are living. For instance our current family room furniture will now shift to the game room upstairs in the Texas house, because we did not have a game room in NJ. There are things I love about Texas architecture and living spaces that I really want to embrace, but I also want to stay true to what we love and has worked for us, and that is classic, timeless pieces.

So it was time to start searching for the perfect new family room furniture.  I had a palette in mind but needed to confirm it would work for us. Open concept homes can be a bit tricky. Since the foyer, family room, dining room and kitchen flow together, when selecting colors each room should flow into one another seamlessly.

If you recall when making my home selections, I kept the palette very neutral. It's wise first and foremost because it is important for you as a new homeowner to be able to establish your own color palette by way of your furnishings personalizing your areas. However, if you are like me, and move a lot, your home selections should be neutral enough, and not too trendy, so that your home appeals to the masses for resale.

Take a peek at our finalized color palette after a long couple of days for my poor hubby who was a trooper! I did make sure he got home on time for his football game on Sunday!


SOFA FABRIC..........



2-CHAIRS FABRIC-- (Honey and Taupe Print)
PILLOW FABRIC--(Graphite color, Velvet fabric with Honey Gold Cording)


DRAPERIES--(Honey)
AREA RUG WITH DOUBLE BORDER--
ACCENT PILLOW FOR SIDE CHAIR- (below)--(Graphite Geometric)







My color inspiration came from my desire for a warm, cozy home with a classic feel. I want our family, friends and guests to walk through the front door and feel welcome. As far as furniture selection it must be comfortable with a timeless design. I  am trying to balance this room with beautiful chic furniture without losing the comfort required for day to day living.

My plan..... 

Our walls are being painted Sherwin Williams Repose Gray and white trim. The windows will be flanked by golden honey satin draperies. The draperies will be in both the family room and dining room as they are open together.

On the Granite sofa will be 2 golden honey velvet throw pillows. There will be 2 chairs upholstered with the Honey Kenzie print you see above. On those chairs will be 2 small Mushroom color Velvet pillows with gold binding around the perimeter.


The area rug is made by Fabrica. We have previously owned a similar rug and unfortunately it was ruined in one of our moves. UGH.....the perils of moving! We were so pleased with the quality we are purchasing the same rug in different colors for the new house. The 3 colors (above) are in the taupe family.

This example (below) is the area rug design, however, this photo does not reflect the colors that we chose:



I am still working on cocktail and end tables and that pop of color that I will spread throughout the areas. I'll share soon as the decisions are made.

It was a very energizing weekend and we accomplished a lot.

What about you, who makes the furniture and color decisions in your home? Is it a joint effort? 

Thanks for joining me today. It's so nice to have you all stop by for a visit. I publish TLB every Tuesday and Friday with Friday being a Foodie day.

Hope to see you then!



Kathleen

I'd love to see you all on TLB's PINTEREST PAGE, FACEBOOK PAGE, INSTAGRAM OR ON HOMETALK! Stop by and check us out!

WE ENJOY YOUR COMMENTS!













2 comments:

  1. Exciting to be moving along and accomplishing the decision-making, Kathleen. I think you've achieved that warm feeling you're after, from what I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete