Tuesday, October 20, 2015

NEW HOME SELECTIONS


Welcome to Tuesday TLB friends!

I hope you all had a terrific weekend! I'm in full house selections mode and have redefined our new space to be lighter and brighter with the same classic style I've always maintained.

Three weeks ago I started with the design, electrical and lighting meetings that included every selection both inside and out. I finish tomorrow! Legal docs have been filed and we are awaiting the date for the foundation to be dug.


I started selections with our main flooring, because it sets the stage for the rest of the house It enables me to establish our whole house style and color palette much easier by making this big decision first.

I chose a nailed down and slightly scraped  Red Oak wood floor with a Medium Brown color stain. Texas is big on their site finished, hand scraped wood floors. I was told the floors that are hand scraped are much more forgiving when it comes to dents and other imperfections that life presents. There are different levels of hand scraped, some being deeper than others, but for our style a slight hand scraped was recommended.

This is our wood floor choice.......



Our builder has chosen Sherwin Williams paints to be used in their homes. On their list are some of the "Top 10 Colors for 2015" and some of the basic tried and true classics.

I love a classic white ceiling and white trim. The color I chose is SW #7006-Extra White. Then it was time for the walls. After 10 years of using the same Benjamin Moore color in our other homes I felt it was time to lighten and freshen. I wanted a nice transitional, timeless color so I chose Sherwin Williams #7015 Repose Gray for all of the interior walls.



Starting in the Laundry Room......

I chose a nice neutral Greige porcelain tile, and SW #7650 Ellie Gray painted cabinetry.
All faucets throughout the house will be Chrome finish.



The Powder Room will have a Polished Marble tile. It has great gray and neutrals
in it. I'm still mulling over what I will do with the walls.



Moving on to the kitchen-

The island is a Quartz countertop that resembles Carrera marble. Low maintenance and classic style. The island Cabinetry is Maple and the stain Bistro. It looks very black in this photo, however, it has a slight tinge of the flooring color which coordinates the two very well.

I'm using timeless white shiny subway tile in a brick pattern around the entire perimeter of the back cabinet area. The perimeter cabinets are maple wood painted White Cap. The perimeter counter top will be black granite, just like my NJ kitchen.



The master bathroom cabinets are a smooth Alder wood with a Chesterfield stain. The floor tile was a bit of a challenge. I love marble, but not when it is wet. I learned first hand in our NJ house just how lethal it can be, so that choice was out. 

While describing what I had in mind for the floor tile, my designer pulled out a beautiful porcelain tile that resembled marble, but without the polished finish. It's beautiful flowy design is different on each tile, giving it that true classic marble look. I decided to use it both on the floor, on the shower walls, and the tub surround. The shower will also have a band of marble rectangular mosaic pieces in various neutral complimentary colors. This will be installed around the perimeter of the shower also.

The tub is encased with the same smooth Alder with Chesterfield stain.


Bedroom #2 is downstairs and will be used as a guest room and also our youngest
daughter's room when she visits. Her cabinetry color is Ellie Gray and her granite is Polar Paciugo. 

Bedrooms #3 & #4 upstairs, (our two other daughters bedrooms when they visit), are painted White cap. Their countertops are a white on white cultured marble.


            
The gameroom and media rooms are located upstairs. In the wet bar the cabinetry is Maple painted Tricom Black SW 7650 with a subway tile backsplash to be applied in a herringbone design, and a granite countertop.


Last of all the Master bedroom carpet. I have upgraded the pad to an 8lb. pad throughout the entire house. I wanted a bit of a pattern to the master carpet for a little more luxurious look. The color I chose is Mineralite.







I hope you have enjoyed today's blog. There's a lot of work ahead.
 Please join me as our journey continues.

Have a wonderful Tuesday....see you on Friday!

Kathleen





4 comments:

  1. Congrats Kathleen on choosing to build a new home. I know you said homes sell so quickly in that area so building is a good option. Love all your picks for each of the rooms. Beautiful. I am excited for you to see this to completion.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Kris!
      I've been thinking about you...keep me posted on things! Thanks for the support on the
      selections. Have a terrific day.
      Kathleen

      Delete
  2. Nicely coordinated selections, Kathleen. Oh man, that job would literally make my head spin (reading this was even hard for me! I was intent on following.) I really love some of the combinations - master bath, game room, to name just a couple. Congratulations on getting this step out of the way!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita!
      I know it's hard to follow....there is a lot to do up front and then I can take a break for a
      couple months. So glad you like the selections!
      Kathleen

      Delete