Tuesday, October 13, 2015

FALL PORCH REVEAL

One of the best ways to get into Fall is doing a little outside decorating. Since we're living in an apartment until the house is completed, I thought there would be rules that wouldn't allow decorating of our patios or front porches. But when we returned home this weekend there was a flyer attached to our door that read....October 2015 Patio & Front Door Halloween Contest....October 30th. The winner is awarded a $25.00 gift card. That's all I needed to read. I got busy!

Decorating my porch for Fall is one of my favorites.The air in the north is crisp and cool. The summer flowers have lost their luster and it's time for a new burst of color in the form Mums, Cruciferous plants and grasses. It creates such a beautiful new palette that only Fall can bring.

The palette I chose this year is rust, golden yellow, purple, bright orange and steel gray with hints of purple. 


I added a couple of Mums, a clump of purple Prairie grass, one Ornamental Kale plant, and a few of the branches from my wreath sprigs. A small pumpkin nestled in the Kale gives the pot some great contrast. As my plants open more and more color will explode into a Fall like wonder.


This year it's time to bring back the straw wreath. Straw makes a great base, doesn't scratch your door and is always fall like. (in my eyes anyway) Continuing with the same
color palette, I made at trip to Hobby Lobby and loaded up with sprigs, a straw wreath and a burlap black stripe spool of ribbon.



All you need is a glue gun to assemble the wreath.




Since all of my planters are in storage I found the urn at Wal-Mart. It was perfect size
and shape for the apartment porch. I also picked up the Welcome mat at Wal-mart.

Here's the final look.........


The straw actually looks great with the Texas stone too. I'd like to say I planned it 
that way, but I was just lucky! I can't wait till the plants grow and the pot is 
bursting with Fall color!

Wishing you a wonderful Fall day!


Kathleen 


Just a quick note:  While I was planting my urn, Texas temps were 93 degrees, 
and beautifully sunny!

5 comments:

  1. Kathleen, I love your porch decor. Those colors pop, and really look great against the brick of your entry. That mat! I swear, I'm one of those people who really likes WalMart and the variety that can be had for so little. I can't tell if that's just an image or real river rover, but that's my point, exactly. Well done, classy, and I a winner in my book.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    It is all just gorgeous. The colors are so vibrant and pretty. Great entry way. It really says Welcome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Kris! It's certainly given us a touch of Fall here in Texas. Have a great day!
      Kathleen

      Delete