Friday, October 9, 2015

KIDS LOVE SQUASH MAC & CHEESE

Welcome to Foodie Friday friends!

I hope you all have had a great week. I've just finished my second visit to the Design
Center and am feeling pretty good. The second meeting involved more substantial choices, cabinetry, countertops, flooring, etc. I left the center at peek traffic time; which is horrendous by the Dallas Fort Worth airport. When I arrived home, it was time to prepare dinner......and after all of the stress of the day, I decided I needed some comfort food.

You are all going to be so happy to hear that I am sharing a delicious substitution for calorie laden traditional Mac & Cheese that even the kids will love. The recipe is called Squash Mac 'n Cheese.




Instead of using the traditional Velveeta, flour and breadcrumbs, this recipe calls for a base of Butternut squash. How sweet is that? Literally!

Follow these steps to a quick, easy and healthy choice.....

1. I baked my own butternut squash according to the recipe and then pureed it setting aside the 1 cup required in the recipe. 


2. In a saucepan add olive oil, garlic and 1 cup of puree. Cook for 1 minute.
3.  Pour in vegetable broth and 10% cream. Boil, then stir in macaroni.  Reduce to 
medium low and cook, stirring often, until pasta is tender, 6-8 minutes.
4. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Top with roasted Butternut squash pieces, if desired.

Recipe link:
http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/dinner/squash-mac-n-cheese/

This dish has a nice sweetness from the butternut squash. I used whole wheat macaroni,
because it made me feel better....but you can use any macaroni you wish. The substitution
of the majority of cheese for squash, is actually not even visible when plated.

In my house this recipe is a keeper. I plan on making it for our girls when they are 
home over the Christmas holidays!

Give it a try, and let TLB know what your children think of this terrific dish. It's a great way to "veggie up" ordinary Mac & Cheese without the family even knowing.

Bon Appetit!

Kathleen

Have a terrific weekend!

                                                




No comments:

Post a Comment