Monday, May 4, 2015

UPCYCLE PICTURE PROJECT

Good Morning Monday friends!

I hope you all had a great weekend. We enjoyed a couple days with our oldest daughter and her new puppy. She took her Dad out deep sea fishing yesterday so we ended up having a delicious fish dinner last night. Nothing like fresh caught fish!!

Today's blog isn't about food, it's all about recycling. When we do home renovations I really love to recycle some of things that I already have. As I looked around the house I thought I would start with an easy project and upcycle some of the picture frames in our living room.

Here is what I started with:


We have two of these similarly framed botanicals above our sofa. At the time (11 years ago) I was in to the Tommy Bahama theme, using much darker woods. But I've fallen in love with Navy, Coral and White....so here is how I started the transformation.

I went to Benjamin Moore and picked out a complimentary blue in the same family as our newly painted front door. (Blog to come in the near future on this!)



Ben Moore paint is so great, I only needed one coat. I also added a bit of gold paint to the inner edge of the frame. I had some Craft Smart Metallic Gold from Michaels on hand that worked perfectly.

I carefully separated the mat board from the board that the print was glued to. My hubby spray painted the old brownish mat white for me, which looks terrific with the coral. 


I sprayed the back of the new coral print with Spray Adhesive and pressed it securely into place directly on top of the other print.  I purchased my prints from Elizabeth at The Beach House Gallery on Etsy. She is awesome to work with!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeachHouseGallery


Then we placed the newly painted white mat on top and secured them into the newly painted frame.




I'm so happy with the outcome. The living room is already starting to take shape with my new color palette.  A little application of paint and some elbow grease sure can turn into something beautiful!  I LOVE that feeling of satisfaction when I look at projects like these side by side.....you can do this too! Take a peek around your house and share your projects with us!

Don't forget to follow TLB weekly as the renovations continue on the house!

Have a terrific Monday!

                         Kathleen


2 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    This is beautiful. Great re love of this frame and picture. So pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,
      Thanks so much! You are correct.....it truly is re love!!
      Kathleen

      Delete