Friday, May 22, 2015

RED, WHITE & BLUE LAYER CAKES



This morning I got the cutest text from my niece with audio attached from her son, my great nephew. He's 3 years old going on 16! We'll be seeing him and meeting his new little brother in July. We just can't wait!

I've been on the "struggle bus" (as my youngest daughter calls it). I really wanted to create a blog post for Memorial Day, but I couldn't come up with an idea that was different from others floating around in Blogland. After the text from my niece today, it came to me....it's time to create a little something for the kiddies for Memorial Day. 

I had just purchased a box of 1/2 pint jars from Old Time Pottery. They would be the perfect size for "little hands" to hold. (I'm sure big hands would do well too!) It seems all kinds of food from salads to desserts appear in jars today. But I needed something red, white and blue that was edible and that children would enjoy. Take at look at what I came up with.......




How "fun" this Pillsbury Funfetti Aqua Blue cake mix will be in my Red, White and Blue Layer Cake. Bake the cake according to the directions on the packet.



Then slice strawberries, (our Red), very thin and cube the cake (our Blue) once it is cooled.


I started with a little whip cream (our White), then a layer of Aqua Blue Funfetti cake, then strawberries, repeating this twice. The top is an extra nice dollop of whip cream and of course some red, white, and blue sprinkles.....the sliced strawberry adds a nice bit of red on top too!






My recipe made approximately #7---1/2 pint jars.

If you have little kiddies or big even big kiddies visiting for Memorial Day, 
why not give this easy, fun dessert a try.....I'm sure it will be a crowd pleaser!

Stars & Stripes Forever

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.

Let despots remember the day
when our Father's with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray.
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever!

John Philip Sousa



Wishing you all a safe and glorious Memorial Day weekend!

                     Kathleen

**I am not being compensated for this post by an affiliates. This recipe is my own creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment