Friday, September 15, 2017

PRESERVING PUMPKINS & GOURDS


HAPPY FALL!

Our weather has been so fantastic lately I find myself wanting to spend more and more time outside. Temps in the mornings in the mid 60's and by afternoon low 80's. These temps are such a sweet spot for me. I love them!

I ventured out last week to my two favorite garden/nursery centers and bought mums, gourds and pumpkins. I've always felt a little frivilous when purchasing a bunch of pumpkins and gourds only to have them rot or get eaten by wildlife before Thanksgiving. Usually I would be hesitant to purchase them so early, but this year I came across a way to extend their life (I hope), to preserve them....until Thanksgiving!



What you will need:

-Bleach and water
-Dobie scrubber (or something similar)
-Clear lacquer sealant spray

Step #1:
Wash pumpkins and gourds in a solution of water and bleach. 
Scrub with a soft pad, like a Dobie pad so as not to scratch
the pumpkins or gourds.

Step#2:
Dry them off with a towel and lay in the sun for the remaining dry time.




Step #3:
Coat each pumpkin or gourd with 2 coats of lacquer. Let dry thoroughly and enjoy for the season!


Have you ever had an issue with rotten, moldy gourds or pumpkins like me? You may want to give this little trick a try!


                       Wishing you a wonderful weekend!


Kathleen










4 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    What a clever idea and I bet it keeps the critters from eating the pumpkins outside. I have ground squirrels and bigger squirrels that think I put those pumpkins outside for them to feast on! I have never heard of this so I may try it for my outdoor real pumpkins. Thanks for the tip.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,
      You are very welcome! So glad you're going to try this. We have tons of wildlife too.....I should have mentioned that. Hopefully we'll still have shiny pumkins and gourds for Thanksgiving this year!!
      Kathleen

      Delete
  2. Kathleen: I have never preserved pumpkins...But I would love to try this easy method, extending my pumpkins' life. I usually buy the large ones to decorate the front of my house in the fall. Thanks for the valuable tips...

    ReplyDelete