Tuesday, September 16, 2014

PRESERVING PUMPKINS & GOURDS


Welcome to Wednesday!

Our weather has been so fantastic lately I find myself wanting to spend more and more time outside. Temps in the 70's are such a sweet spot for me.

I'm afraid I've been bitten by the Fall bug a bit early this year. I'm ready for the beautiful displays of color that only Fall can provide, so..........

I ventured out last week to my two favorite garden/nursery centers and bought mums, gourds and pumpkins. I've always felt a little frivilous when purchasing a bunch of pumpkins and gourds only to have them rot or get eaten by wildlife before Thanksgiving. Let's face it, some of the prices can get a little bit crazy. Usually I would be hesitant to purchase them so early, but this year I came across a way to extend their life (I hope), to preserve them....until Thanksgiving!



This is the first year I'm trying this process, but it sure sounded like a winner and worth trying. 

What you will need:

-Bleach and water
-Dobie scrubber (or something similar)
-Clear lacquer sealant spray

Step #1:
Wash pumpkins and gourds in a solution of water and bleach. 
Scrub with a soft pad, like a Dobie pad so as not to scratch
the pumpkins or gourds.

Step#2:
Dry them off with a towel and lay in the sun for the remaining dry time.




Step #3:
Coat each pumpkin or gourd with 2 coats of lacquer. Let dry thoroughly and enjoy for the season!


Have you ever had an issue with rotten, moldy gourds or pumpkins like me? You may want to give this little trick a try!

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!

Kathleen

***Please join us on Foodie Friday for a special Fall treat. Thanks for stopping by!