Friday, March 14, 2014

IT'S FOODIE FRIDAY---DECADENT TEXAS SHEET CAKE COOKIES

I believe that most of us at some point or other have sampled a Texas Sheet Cake. As I recall we were living in the mid-west when we tried it for the first time. I remember this huge sheet pan filled with a delicious chocolate cake, and a gooey chocolate frosting with nuts in it. The texture was light, and a bit airy, and the frosting was gooey.....so yummy!

I have always wondered if the name Texas Sheet Cake came from the state of Texas. We all know that everything is "bigger" in Texas. As I started browsing for a bit of history, I found all kinds of stories but nothing concrete. FoodTimeline.org gives credit to Lady Bird Johnson........but who knows if this is true. All I can say is, that is one fine cake! 

Can you imagine a Texas Sheet Cake cookie?  Little bite size delectable delights. When I found the recipe, I just had to try it. I can tell you they are worth every calorie. The recipe only makes about 15 tablespoon sized cookies, but believe me, that will be enough.......unless you are feeding a bunch of ranch hands.





TEXAS SHEET CAKE COOKIES
The recipe states it makes 24 cookies. I used an actual tablespoon measuring spoon and my recipe made 15.  The recipe did not call for nuts.

Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

Icing
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
3 Tbsp. milk
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

HOW TO MAKE

Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat
2. In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar together until light, scraping sides frequently.
3. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated. Mix in baking powder and salt.
4. Turn mixer to low and slowly add in flour. Dough will be thick.
5. In a microwave safe bowl heat chocolate chips on high in 30 second increments until melted,
stirring after  every 30 seconds.
6. Mix melted chocolate directly into cookie dough until evenly mixed.
7. Drop dough by a measured tablespoon sized mounds onto baking sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes
until cookies just appear set.(Time depends on your oven.) They will still be very soft on the inside. DO NOT over bake!
8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Icing
1. In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder, and milk over medium heat whisking
until melted together. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
2. Pour icing over cookies and allow to set before serving.

NOTES
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. I personally think they would be great in the frig also!

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as my family did. Thanks for sharing Foodie Friday with me today!

                                                  Wishing you a warm and wonderful weekend!

                                                  Kathleen


****A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO COOKIES AND CUPS BLOG for the recipe.

***We would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave your comments. See you Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Love Texas Sheet Cake. This will be a great sweet to serve at a cocktail party...can make them a bit smaller I would imagine. Look and sound yummy. Will definitely try! Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delish!! You are making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete