Monday, February 10, 2014

My Style---Our Master Bedroom

We loved the floor plan of our Houston home. With just two of us it was such an easy house to live in. Downstairs included a 2-story family room, an over-sized kitchen, laundry room, butlers pantry, formal dining room, study, powder room, and of course our Master suite. This included an attached Master bath also. Upstairs were 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a media room. It was great when the kids came home, because they had their own personal space, and when they weren't there, cleaning the downstairs was a breeze!

After living in that house for 3 years we transferred to the Northeast. Because we loved the convenience of the first floor Master, we set out our sights on finding just that once again. Our poor realtor, Ginger, had her work cut-out for her. After narrowing down our search to a specific area, much to our delight, Ginger found us just the right house with of course, our first floor Master.

Since every stitch of our house was renovated in some way, the master was no exception. But good bones and architecture prevailed. I honestly have spent most of my decorating dollars on the rooms that are most visible, family room, kitchen, etc. When it comes to the bedrooms I stayed pretty simple.

The Master is no exception. I first started using our bedroom wall color--Benjamin Moore, AC-2-Berkshire Beige, when we built our Central Valley, NY house in 2002. Since then the same color has graced the walls of our Longwood, FL home, our Houston, TX home, and now our Princeton, NJ home. I guess you could say I LOVE this color. It is one of those colors that are unique to lighting. In our Northern homes it appears a bit more green-gray, and in our Southern homes more gray. Heaven forbid if they ever discontinue it!  I know when I say gray you are thinking a cool color, but it is exactly the opposite.......the room is calming, warm and very inviting, just as we like our "Master Retreat" to be.
 
This is a photo of the bedroom BEFORE we purchased the house.


Here are a few photos of a portion of our Master Bedroom AFTER.


We had new windows installed, contracted the painting of the ceiling, trim and walls to be done. And found a local company to restore the wood floors back to their original state. Lastly the ceiling light was replaced with a Minka Aire, oh so quiet fan......something Ron and I can't live without anymore!  Must be a Southern thing!!


I just found this pillow in Target and LOVE it on the chair!

I am not a person that likes clutter.....but especially in the bedroom. I believe our bedroom should be our sanctuary. A place to relax and escape our hectic lifestyle..........one thing we do miss in this bedroom, is the fireplace that we had in the Houston house. Now that was amazing! Great job finding that house for us Phoebe!!


I hope you have enjoyed taking a peek into our tranquil Master Bedroom.

                                                                 Sweet Dreams!

                                                                     Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready to wrap myself up in those quilts and take a long winter's nap! :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete