Friday, August 9, 2013

Mouthwatering Turkey Burger

Have you ever gone to a restaurant and ordered a turkey burger and when you tasted it, it was tough like leather, dry and tasteless?
 
A few years ago I came across a recipe that was intended to be for turkey meatballs. My family loved them so much I thought why not use this recipe for burgers. So I tweaked the recipe a bit and it has now evolved into our family's favorite Turkey Burger!
  
One pound of fresh ground turkey makes 3 patties the size above.
You can see the herbs and grated Parmesan cheese---yummy.
By the way, the beautiful tomato in the back right corner of this
photo was freshly picked from my husband's tomato plant. I can't
believe how picture perfect it looks.........and it was so delicious too!
By adding a little olive oil to my fry pan and cooking the burger with the lid on the pan,
it steams a bit, and browns on the bottom slightly...giving it a little
 crispiness on the outside.
As a parent of a daughter who is employed by the Heinz Company, I would be remiss
by not displaying a new condiment they are marketing---Jalapeno Ketchup that now may be found on your grocery shelves. If you like a nice kick to your burger,
 give this a try. I love it and I know my brother will too!

 I hope your family enjoys my Turkey Burgers as much as ours does!

*********************************************************


TURKEY BURGERS
 
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs or fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley ( you can use dried also, just use less)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 large egg white, beaten until frothy
1/2 teaspoon each salt, and dried oregano, and dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large bowl combine turkey, Panko, onion, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, beaten egg whites, salt, oregano, basil, and pepper.  Mix lightly but thoroughly.

With moist hands divide the turkey into 3 burgers and press lightly.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Add the turkey burgers to
the pan and cover. Depending on the temperature of your stove top, you should be able to flip the turkey burger within 4-5 minutes. It will stick slightly to the pan. Slightly brown both sides, decrease heat to low, cover and let it steam for approx. 3-4 minutes.  Total cooking time may vary. Always check the center of the burger to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.


 

 
 
 
 

2 comments: