Tuesday, September 10, 2019

UNIQUE PUMPKIN DECOUPAGE

Hello TLB friends!

I was recently browsing other bloggers to see what they were up to in regards to FALL creative ideas! Low and behold I found a blog that is using the same idea that I used and published on my 9/10/14 blog!! It was such a fun project I thought I'd share it with you once again. 

HAVE A FABULOUS DAY!
Kathleen
**************************************************
9/10/14

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today after completing this DIY. My girlfriends and I used to get together one night a month and make all kinds of craft projects. It always was such a great time and ended up being a great outlet for all of us Moms to enjoy some adult time.

One of the things we worked on was a decoupage project. Truth be told, at his moment, I couldn't tell you what I made, but as I worked on this project I remembered there were a lot of "sticky" fingers that night!

I decided to decoupage a faux pumpkin this year.Now what would I use to make this pumpkin beautiful?? I always have a good supply of napkins leftover from whenever we entertain. In searching through my fall stash I came across a stack of beautiful Caspari napkins with Bittersweet branches in gold, crimson and orange. They were just perfect!



I started by gathering the following supplies:

1.  Faux pumpkin (size is personal preference)
2.  1-container of Mod Podge (I used Matte finish)
3.  Sponge applicator or paintbrush
4.  Scissors
5.  Cut strips of napkins, paper, fabric in approx. 4 inch wide 
pieces.
6.  Cut squares in whatever width you like to act as a patchwork where needed. It kind of gives the final project a 3D appearance.


INSTRUCTIONS: 

1.  Clean the pumpkin making sure it is clear of  any raised imperfections.

**If you use Caspari napkins remove the white bottom layer of the napkin before gluing....you can see what happens in this photo with the white backing---the result is more wrinkles.

2.  Apply Mod Podge with sponge applicator working in lines from top to bottom of the pumpkin. (I applied glue to a 3-4 inch strip of pumpkin and it worked well.) 
3.  Cut out strips or squares of napkin/decorative paper/fabric. Size is personal choice. I liked using some strips in the beginning because the crevices of the pumpkin were easier to manage. Then to finish up I used a patchwork like look and applied squares.
4.  Smooth out wrinkles as best you can by lightly tapping with a dry sponge applicator. This helps especially in the crevices of the pumpkin. You will get some wrinkles.
5. When the entire pumpkin is covered apply one more coat over the entire surface area to seal the project and let dry thoroughly.



In the photo above the pumpkin is still very wet. The wrinkles and patches are much more prevalent. The final photo below is after hours of drying.



In next Monday's blog you'll see where I incorporated my pumpkin into the fall decorating at my house.

I hope you enjoyed today's blog. Have you ever decoupaged anything before? Do you think you'll give it a try?

Just remember, the final product doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful........beauty cannot be judged objectively, for what one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.

Wishing you a beautiful day!

Kathleen

***Thanks so much for stopping by. We love visitors! Feel free to pass our blog along to all of your friends.  http://thelavenderbouquet.blogspot.com  THANK YOU!!


10 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    This is so clever and beautiful. What a great idea. Love this.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris,
    So glad you like the pumpkin.....the process took me back a few years! Thanks so much for the visit too!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this ideal, so much that I put on my blog, I am a new blogger & new today at Hometalk. Question "How do I get the picture to my blog"? With Unique Pumpkin Decoupage. Of coarse I will give you the credit.
    Thanks much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly,
      It's so nice of you to stop by and share my post Unique Pumpkin Decoupage on your blog. I really appreciate it. Here is the direct link---just copy and paste it on your post and it will direct everyone to the post.

      http://thelavenderbouquet.blogspot.com/2014/09/unique-pumpkin-decopauge.html

      Delete
  4. What a great project. This is such a great idea. Very, very clever. You did a wonderful job.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Thanks so much! I really appreciate your sweet comments. Stop by anytime!
      Kathleen

      Delete
  5. Katie, have you tried separating the layers of the napkin and then decoupage. This method is great if the background of the napkin is the same as the pumpkin or what ever is being decoupaged.. Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate the pumpkin into the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judith Hembree,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I did end up separating the layers and the process worked much better. Thanks for sharing!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when you posted this and what a wonderful idea it was. I am going to try a few this fall. I am seeing some really pretty fall napkins to use. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete