Tuesday, August 27, 2019

OUR FOREVER HOME BUILD

Welcome back TLB friends!

I hope this week finds you well! 

Things in my world are busy, but a good busy. I've adjusted to our new lifestyle here in the  Northwestern U.S., and am beginning to feel ready to conquer what lies ahead. What lies ahead you ask?  Lots of airline miles!!

We have begun building our "forever" home in the Florida. Much travel, and of course all of the subsequent holiday celebrations that go along with this time of year will complete our 2019!

The biggest challenge I've completed are the selections for the new house. I just have some lighting yet to order. Those of you that have built semi-custom homes know the drill. You have a design center that houses most or all of your selections, many are in vignettes so that you may get a good visual, however, there are some that are in a catalog
that you must choose from. Not a task that should be taken lightly!!!! Go in with your photo album of ideas....it helps immensely! 

We were able to make the hardcore selections, flooring, cabinets, countertops, etc. from the showroom. We decided to take the lighting fixtures that were included in our base price and have them installed. We cannot close if there are not fixtures installed, so after closing we will hire an electrician to install the fixtures and fans that we purchased to replace them for us. We are planning on donating the other lighting to "Habitat for Humanity" which is always in need of donations in Florida. 

I've been very fortunate to be able to work with my lighting sales lady from Texas who helped me so much with our lighting in that house. We worked together thru phone and emails and she shipped everything to Florida for us.

I started selection choices with the flooring.I did allot of research first!! We knew it would be the most costly selection (outside of the pool) for the house. The flooring will be in at least 3/4 of the house. I chose a Mohawk oak engineered flooring that withstands heat and humidity. (Metropolitan Lights, color City Loft Oak)     https://www.mohawkflooring.com/engineered-wood/detail/14842-182986/Metropolitan-Lights-City-Loft-Oak Once that selection was made I knew how much I had left in hubby's budget for me to spend on everything else AND the color family that would coordinate
with the flooring.

We both loved the kitchen in Texas and though I cannot recreate it exactly, I chose to
use the black and white theme once again. Island and butlers pantry black cabinets, perimeter of kitchen and top and bottom cabinets are white with all countertops gray marbled quartz. I kept my simple white subway tile with white grout in a staggered pattern in the kitchen, and herringbone pattern in the butlers pantry. All cabinets will have black matte hardware this time. I'm still "in love" with this color combo. I'm currently working with my
lighting lady on the island pendants. They will be black also.

Below is a photo of the kitchen/dinette area from the model. We chose a bit different
perimeter layout and appliances.




Hubby wanted a pool so we re-created many of the features from the Texas 
house with the Florida designer; shape of the pool, most of the same materials and color, but changed the waterfall stone to a Ledge stone slate veneer.




We also enlarged the outdoor patio for entertaining, and added decorative pavers. (instead of swirled concrete like Texas) The pool and entertaining area will be entirely encased
within a screened lanai.

Well, as things progress I will continue to share. But this gives you a taste of what's
to come.



Have a wonderful week!

 Kathleen













7 comments:

  1. I love this kitchen! I have a black and white kitchen so I share your love of white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love a crisp traditional kitchen. Having a hard time deciding what type of island pendants to choose, but I have some time. Thanks for stopping by.

      Kathleen

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! So glad you like the color combo too! Crisp and clean!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, what?? You're currently in Northwestern US? When did that happen, Kathleen? My goodness, you've had some major moves! I hope forever means retirement! The specs are beautiful, and I'm certain you'll make it outstanding in your choices. Best wishes for completing the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita!!!! I just caught up on your blog and Kris's--finally the dust is settling! Yes we've moved, hubby took a job he just could not refuse! haha We're in a cute newly built northwestern style rental home. I'm just catching up on my old blogs and I see that you have moved also!! I wish you the best! Wonderful to hear from you!
      Kathleen

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful. So I guess you will be staying in Florida now. I cannot wait to see more of this beautiful home when it is built.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kris,
    Thank you! Yes, final home will be 1/2 from our daughters in Florida!! We'll be close to she and our grandaughter and I'm not sure who is more excited! Been on checking you out too! Another move for you my friend. You are definetly putting your beautiful stamp on it! Best of luck!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete