Thursday, February 11, 2021

CREATING THE ILLUSION OF A WIDER WINDOW

Hello TLB friends,

I hope the sun is shining in your world today! With us now living in Florida we've been getting our fair share of sunshine so we can't complain.

This week I had the bug to complete some projects in the house. I just needed to spend some time thinking about how to tackle things that are not of the "norm." By this I mean the things you come across when you build a "semi-custom home," or do a remodel. Some of the building process you are allowed changes and some they will not allow. And as far as buying an existing home, most of you probably know there is always the unknown you uncover!

Today I'm sharing what I've done to take a bedroom size window, which is in our formal dining room, and make it "appear" larger than it really is.

The dining room window is the window to the left of the front door in the photo above.


This photo of the diningroom was taken just after we unpacked. The window is the only one in the room. You get a better idea of the size of the window in this photo too.

We added plantation shutters to all of the windows in the house. This gives me the choice whether to add draperies or not, and still gives us privacy. Their insulating factors are great for sunny areas too!

I found the draperies in Ballard Designs catalog last Fall. I ordered them in October and I was soooo excited when they finally arrived two days ago!!!
The "Becca Floral" drapery panels are 108" in length and the color is "Cloud." 

I had hubby hang them higher than the window frame, just 3 inches under the crown moulding. We extended the rod end 18" wider beyond the window frame on both sides, giving the "appearance" of a much wider window. 

                            



I was trying to decide whether to puddle the last few inches or hem each panel. For now I've puddled them. Sometimes I just need to see things for a bit before I make a critical decision.


I find it amazing sometimes at how much you can change a room by adding a warm pair of draperies to tie it all together!

Have a wonderful day!


Kathleen















6 comments:

  1. I love this room! What a difference the drapery made, the window looks so much bigger. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous room and the window does look so much bigger. Love those drapes and the pattern. So pretty. Happy Friday. Have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy that warmth and sunshine in Florida. Here in Illinois we are getting some sun today but the temps are going to plummet to 6 degrees with a wind chill of -40. Ugh! Dreaming of Spring!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kris! I really appreciate your sweet comments. It really is amazing what you can do with a little
      "trickery" with window treatments!
      Stay warm my friend! xxoo

      Delete
  3. It’s a good idea. I did the same on my windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,
      Glad to hear you've used this "little trick" also. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete