Tuesday, July 30, 2019

SUMMER PICNIC DISHES AND DESSERTS

Warm weather is on its way for many of us. In Texas our grills are cooking up some super special goodness already!  I'm always searching for tasty side dishes to pair with our protein. Whether we are having red meat, turkey, chicken or fish, a side dish is a must. Of course no picnic is complete with dessert, so I've included a couple of those in today's blog too.

I found a recipe, that cuts the fat used in a typical potato salad and tastes delish. It couldn't have been any easier to prepare. And it was hubby approved!


It's called Loaded Baked Potato Salad, but it's not baked! I think you get the idea...it tastes like a baked potato, and there's some nice surprises inside; like a packet of dry ranch dressing stirred into the cooked potatoes. 


Click on this link for the recipe:  http://www.countrycleaver.com/2011/07/loaded-baked-potato-salad.html

No picnic is complete without deviled eggs. Let's face it, deviled eggs have come a long way. Even cocktail parties aren't complete without them. The ingredients in this recipe will truly surprise you. 

I was given this recipe from Beth a fellow blogger that I chatted with online last year when I first started blogging. She was so gracious and so helpful with all of my questions. At the time, I was getting ready to host a cocktail party, and she gave me some recipes and some very helpful hints. One of the recipes was what I call-- Beth's Deviled Eggs.



I ended up serving them at our cocktail party and friends loved them! And now they are great for picnic season.They are a bit sweet, but still savory. Who would have thought applesauce and currants along with some other goodies would be in deviled eggs. My girls love them. It's the only way they will eat deviled eggs now.

Here is the recipe:

BETH'S DEVILED EGGS

  • one dozen eggs
Scoop out cooked yolks and place in a small bowl. 

Add to mashed yolks:
  • 2 tbsp. mayo
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. curry powder ( I use a bit less)
  • 3 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
  • 3-4 tbsp. dried sweet currants 
  • 3 tbsp. chunky applesauce
You may add more mayo or applesauce to taste if the yolks are not wet enough. Pipe into
each egg. 

***I have never done this, but Beth also recommended adding a dollop of apple, garlic or ginger chutney on top. She used Stonewall Kitchen. 

Finally, dust the entire plate with shaved almonds and more chives or fresh lemon thyme.

Every picnic has to have the essential dessert. Something a little sweet. I have two very different ideas for you. The first an easy Sorbet dessert. 



Raspberry Sorbet in Lemon Cups


  • Lemons
  • Raspberry sorbet (or your favorite flavor)
Hollow out the lemon using a melon baller. Scoop your favorite Sorbet
into each half, freeze and serve. So easy and so pretty!


I have one more different sweet treat for you. They are just like Rice Krispie Bars, but  with a twist......you use Ruffles potato chips instead of the cereal! They have a nice sweet/salty taste that I think will surprise your taste buds.

Ruffles Marshmallow Krispie Treats

You may find the recipe here:  http://www.laurenslatest.com/ruffles-marshmallow-krispie-treats/

I hope you enjoy this group of recipes, and you're able to use them at your picnics or summer dinners.

Have a wonderful weekend.
         
Kathleen
                                                                     
                                                                                                      
                                                   
***Don't forget to tell your friends about The Lavender Bouquet blog follow us on Facebook too!















1 comment:

  1. OH so yummy!!! I love all of these. Love the sorbet in lemon shells too cute. I love summer and all the fun dishes you can make. Thanks for sharing. Hope all is going well for you.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete