Friday, February 19, 2016

Oh So Yummy.....Marshmallow Sweet Potato Loaves

Welcome to Foodie Friday TLB friends!

Do you like quick breads? Today's recipe kind of reminds me of either pumpkin bread or carrot cake, however, it's actually called Marshmallow Sweet Potato Loaves. These little breads bake into the cutest little loaves, and are topped with broiled marshmallows.  Yes, just like the gooey marshmallows in S'mores!

COME ON OVER TO CHECK THEM OUT........
When I travel I love to grab a magazine or two for the flight to help pass the time. This past trip I picked up a copy of the March 2016 issue of Style at Home magazine. I actually picked it up for the article titled, "Orderly Office," something I really need help with.

As I browsed the pages I came upon a recipe I am featuring on today's blog.... 
Marshmallow Sweet Potato Loaves. I thought what a great idea. I love loaf/quick breads. They are not only easy, but so tasty, and one of my favorite's to gift to friends.
Take a look at these little loaves. Aren't they the cutest? And broiling the marshmallows on top....sealed it for me!



The recipe is as follows and makes 9 mini loaves.

INGREDIENTS

4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
 2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
9 large marshmallows

DIRECTIONS:

Pierce the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Place the potatoes in a microwave safe
dish and cook on high until the flesh is fork-tender, 10-15 minutes, (mine took 15 min) flipping them halfway through cooking time.  Let sit until cool enough to handle. Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. (I used a small cookie scoop) Place the sweet potato in a bowl, mash until smooth and allow to cool completely.
Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, and salt into the sweet potato mash until combined.

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together into a small bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the sweet potato mixture, fold in the pecans.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease and flour a 9 loaf mini loaf pan. I used my mini loaf pan that held 8 loaves. I purchased mine from Williams Sonoma. 

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-nonstick-mini-loaf-pan/?cm_src=AutoRel

You may also use mini loaf baking cups in a 9" x 13" pan. Evenly fill the loaf pans or cups with batter and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out cleanly.



Meanwhile, using a wet knife, cut each marshmallow crosswise into 3 slices (rinse the knife between slices for clean cuts). Top each baked loaf with three marshmallow slices. 



Set the pan under the broiler until the marshmallows are toasted and golden, 2-3 minutes. Serve warm.



How delicious with a nice warm cup of coffee or tea. Trust me when I say, they are not only beautiful, but  they are so delicious!

I hope you've enjoyed Foodie Friday today. I look forward to seeing you next Tuesday for a very unique DIY project.


Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!



Kathleen

***Recipe credits to Style at Home magazine, March 2016.





4 comments:

  1. Well, I love how you went from organizing an office to making sweet potato loaves, lol! Those look absolutely delicious, and I love that WS pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita,
    Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your comments. I must say it's much easier for me to bake something sweet than organize my chaos! Have a terrific weekend!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try this recipe. It sounds and looks great! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila,
      Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe as much as my family did!
      Kathleen

      Delete