Wednesday, July 9, 2014

DIY PANTRY SHELVING EXTENSIONS

Lately I've been running out of storage in one of my pantries. We have two in the kitchen one small pantry that I use for food items and a large pantry I use for storage of everything from entertaining pieces to items that take up to much space in my kitchen cabinets.

When I mentioned to my husband that I could use some extra storage space he took a look at the pantry. He determined that the two bottom shelves could easily be expanded and still allow me to reach the top two shelves without a problem. I would also have space underneath where boxes of items and other items could be stored.

He ran to Home Depot and bought 2 pieces of 5/8" pine shelving. This was an exact match with what the previous carpenter had used when the shelves were first built. It's very sturdy and can withhold the weight of all of the dishes and other things without a problem. 

After taking his measurements, cutting and installing took about 45 minutes. This is what the pantry looked like with the raw shelving installed. I had an additional 15 inches per shelf x2 plus the tiled floor underneath.


Next step was painting the shelves. My husband used left over trim paint from the kitchen. Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Super White. It turned out great! 



 After drying I cut shelf liner and covered the new shelves so that the dishes would have a bit of a cushion and the shelf was protected.


Below is a side view giving you a better idea of how much extra shelving I gained by this simple task. The shelf literally doubled in width. 

The top two shelves remain at a 15 inch depth.The bottom two are now 30 inches deep. Giving me the additional storage space I needed.




Now when I open the pantry doors I can see exactly what I have on each shelf! 



Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed our pantry project. Do you have a similar pantry situation? Share with us what your solution was to gain more space.

Have a wonderful day!

Kathleen

**** Remember that you can have The Lavender Bouquet delivered right to your inbox. Just fill in your email address in the box labeled Follow BY Email on our page. You will receive a Feedburner request to verify and once that's done you are all set! 






2 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    It looks great and I bet you love having the extra storage.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete