Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DIY---SPRING WREATH WITH MONOGRAM INITIALS

I am in love with monograms. There are so many fonts available today that choosing one can be a daunting experience, especially if you have never done it before. Each monogram looks entirely different based on the font that is chosen. Ultimately, the choice is yours, whatever your taste dictates.....there is a font for you.

Monograms have been around for years. Today the single letter and initial monogram can be found on just about anything. In many cases decorators use letters in a variety of ways incorporating them into vignettes, on bookshelves, hung on walls, framed art, stitched on linens, and so on.

I was perusing Jane.com and found a wooden monogram in the exact font that I am most fond of. It  is called French Script. The letters have a beautiful scrolling effect. I had seen this type of monogram applied directly to front doors, walls, and even incorporated into wreaths, among other uses.

I loved the idea of incorporating the monogram into a wreath, hence I decided to make a new Spring wreath for our own front door this year! I purchased a personalized, unfinished wooden monogram, on Jane.com. The cost was $9.99 plus shipping. The vendor email address is:  unfinishedwoodco@yahoo.com
 I decided to spray paint it an off white color to blend with the flowers I had purchased at Michaels.



A few years ago, when we lived in Houston, my favorite garden center was Cornelius on Dairy Ashford Rd. They had an absolutely beautiful gift shop with top notch designers decorating it by season. At that time the designers used the black and white stripe ribbon that I fell in love with. I found the same ribbon in our new Hobby Lobby here in NJ--which ironically I first frequented while living in Houston. (small world) I believe between the addition of the monogram and of this ribbon it kind of "kicks it up a notch"...giving the project a bit of elegance.

It's time to start thinking about what you will make for your Spring front door this year. Don't forget to add that little bit of elegance to your project too!

                                                   Wishing you a day filled with sunshine!

                                                                        Kathleen

To make this wreath you will need:
1-grapevine wreath --Hobby Lobby
flowers/greens--Michaels
Ribbon--Hobby Lobby
Wooden Monogram--Jane.com
Spray paint--Hobby Lobby


***Thank you so much for stopping by The Lavender Bouquet. Hope to see you on Friday!



2 comments:

  1. I have seen a lot of monograms around on Pinterest, but this is the first I've seen it used so creatively in a spring wreath! Very good idea!

    ReplyDelete