Monday, February 24, 2014

Good Morning Monday--"Dunk in Coffee or Red Wine"



Sometimes you just have to take that afternoon break and share it with a friend or someone you care about. When Ron and I were first married we lived next to a wonderful Italian couple that we just adored. Florence was an awesome baker. She made us things we had never tasted in our lifetime. I was thinking of Florence and her Biscotti today as I prepare for an afternoon phone call date with my niece. We are states away from one another, but somehow even a phone call recharges us until we see each other again.

Although I wish we could sit down and enjoy Florence's Biscotti and coffee together, my photographs will have to do today. Do you have a friend or family member that you could enjoy coffee & Biscotti with?

My recipe from Florence is written in her hand writing on a now tattered piece of paper. I love the state it is in........it brings back many great memories of the early years of our marriage and the wonderful people we were surrounded by. And also just how many times this Biscotti recipe was served to my friends and family.


Florence's Biscotti

Beat with mixer--
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil (veg)
3 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1 tsp. pure almond
pinch of salt

Mix in--
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
(I added mini choc chips 1/3 cup to one batch, and 2 tsp. pure lemon and lemon zest
to the other batch)

You may chill if you like. I did not.

Form dough into 3 loaves and bake on a greased or parchment lined pan.

Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 min. depending on your oven.

Cool

With a serrated knife slice each loaf diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.
Place the slices, cut side down on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees
for about 5-6 min. Remove the pan and turn slices over and Bake 2-4 more minutes
and cool. The Biscotti should be crispy and dry.

Optional glaze:  Use powdered sugar and water OR l egg yolk and water on top of
each slice before baking.

FLORENCE WRITES THIS AT THE END OF HER RECIPE:
 Dunk in coffee OR red wine!  :)


I hope you all enjoy Florence's Biscotti making new memories of your own.

                                                      Have a wonderful day!
                                                               
                                                                   Kathleen
                                                 
***Thanks so much for being part of The Lavender Bouquet.




1 comment:

  1. I've never made biscotti, but will now have to try. Enjoy your "catch up" with your niece!

    ReplyDelete