Friday, October 11, 2013

Foodie Friday-----The Sweet Taste of Fall

Welcome to Fall folks!  Yesterday there was a chill in the air and today the temps were still chilly and darn, it has rained all day. It is always a bit sad when the leaves start falling to the ground, as the trees always look so bare and vulnerable to the winter ahead.

Fall days remind me of so many yummy smells and tastes. I love the scents of cinnamon, pumpkin,  and apples that permeate the kitchen.What could be more delightful than the sweet tastes of Fall?

Our oldest daughter was driving in to NJ on a business trip today, and she called to tell us that she was going to take a bit of a detour and spend Friday and Saturday with us. She really wanted to go to the apple farm on Saturday to pick up fresh apples so that she could make applesauce when she got home. All she had to do is mention applesauce, and I couldn't get it out of my mind. Unfortunately, she had a flat tire (thankfully she is fine) and was unable to make the trip, but that didn't stop me from running to pick up the apples to make our favorite applesauce.

The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten has the most delicious recipe for applesauce. It has some interesting ingredients that give it a new twist, and does not use any sugar. My youngest daughter is just crazy about my mother, Mago's applesauce. Mom spoils my daughter every year, making it ahead of time and freezing it so that my daughter will not miss her applesauce on Thanksgiving day! Now that's a good Mago!

The prep time for Ina's recipe takes a bit of time because of the 6 lbs. of apples that require peeling. I am sure you will forget about the prep time once you taste it. I have taken a series of photos as I prepared the applesauce to kind of give you an idea of how very easy it really is.

 The recipe link may be found at the end of the photos.

The ingredients are so different I am sure you will LOVE the flavors as they meld together!

Zest and juice the oranges and the lemon.

Pour the liquid over the peeled apples.

Pour the apples into a non-reactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot.

Spread them in a fairly even layer.

Add remaining ingredients, brown sugar, butter, and spices.

I have a very hot oven so it takes me just about one hour instead of the l 1/2 hrs. that is recommended. You may want to watch this step carefully the first time you make it.

Whisking the applesauce in the pan takes out the lumps. My family prefers it to have a few chunks of apples in it. Whisk according to your own final  preferences.

Cut and paste this link to Ina's Homemade Applesauce Recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-applesauce-recipe/index.html

I hope your family enjoys this applesauce as much as mine does!

Have a wonderful weekend---------

ENJOY!
K
 









1 comment:

  1. LOVE this applesauce when you want a little something different than the usual! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete