Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DIY Fall Wreath

As I turned the page of my calendar to September and the school buses began to drive the streets, my thoughts turned to Fall. I love Fall! It is such a beautiful season in the North and one that my husband and I really enjoy. He of course for football, and me because I love the crisp air and beautiful displays of color that can only be seen this time of year.

After taking a trip north to Rhinebeck, NY and into NYC for a little exploring over the weekend, we spent yesterday purchasing my yearly fall mums for pots and decor around the house. Of course this means that part of my day today was spent planting our new mums. My first step outside starting the Fall decorating process.

This afternoon I spent crafting a new Fall wreath for our front door. I am absolutely in LOVE with the purple/plums of the 2013 Fall fashions, therefore, it was only fitting that I incorporated this color into my new wreath for our front door below.


The following is what is needed to make a wreath similar to mine:

1.  One 24" grapevine wreath
2.  One spool of ribbon.
3.  Two sprigs of flowers of your choice.
4.  Two sprigs of leaves of your choice.
5.  Two sprigs of a coordinating softer fill-in green.

You will need a hot glue gun, and a couple of tacks. Disassemble the stems.  You may remove flowers and greens from stems or leave a short stem which enables you to glue a bit easier to the wreath. The wire like stems can be wound around the wreath and glued also.

Arrange your flowers first and then fill in with your leaves and soft greens. Make sure that everything is secure with glue. Measure the distance from the top of your door frame to where you want the wreath to hang and add about 6 inches or so. (remember you are doubling this as this loops around the top of the wreath, leaving the opening to overhang on the back of the door about one inch)

Wrap (loop) the ribbon around the wreath leaving the opening at the top, adjust the length where you want the wreath to hang (using a step stool makes this easier) and hammer two tacks into the wooden top edge of the door. Trim excess.

  Photo reflects one tack, but two is ideal for added strength. Most exterior doors will have a wooden core enabling you to use this process to hang.




I hope you enjoy making your Fall wreath....... adding a beautiful bit of color as you WELCOME FALL into your home!

I am looking forward to sharing another DIY project from my kitchen on Friday......stay tuned!!



















2 comments:

  1. I never would've thought of the eggplant color - love the pop! I should do this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the eggplant color also. Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete