Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It's Not Your Mama's Fish--a healthy twist

The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least two times a week so I decided a few years ago that we would incorporate this healthy eating style into our household. With fish being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and so much protein, it seemed prudent to get on the band wagon.

I started searching for simple fish recipes that did not contain a lot of unnecessary calories. My husband loves a nice mild (Wild) Cod and although I love Cod as well, I usually choose a Wild Salmon, Coho being my favorite. Whatever type of fish I choose, I always purchase Wild not Farm Raised. It is more expensive, but in my opinion a much safer choice. Click on this link for more information: http://seafood.edf.org/guide/best

Last evening I prepared two recipes from my favorite dietitian/cookbook author, Ellie Krieger. The first is a Miso-Glazed Cod (The Food You Crave pg. 231 OR http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/miso-glazed-cod-recipe/index.html?ic1=obinsite ) with the accompaniment of Sesame-Stir Fried Chinese Greens (The Food You Crave pg. 258 OR http://www.foodnetworktv.com/recipes/sesame-stir-fried-chinese-greens.html ). They are both delicious and easy to prepare.



 I used Ellie's recommended Baby Bok Choy which is plentiful this time of year. I have seen it in the grocery store as well as the local Farmer's Market.

One 6-oz. fillet is 220 healthy calories and
 one 3/4 cup of greens is 61 calories.
Those are great numbers for a nutrient packed dinner.

ENJOY!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment