Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DIY-How to Make Valances

Good Morning Friends!

I have been requested to post the instructions on how to make the valances that were photographed in my August 16th posting of DIY-Valances.

Good luck and Happy Sewing!


HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE ROD POCKET VALANCE
 
 
Step-by -Step

I do not use a pattern to make these valances, however, I will share with you some secrets that I learned along the way that I highly recommend you follow. 
 
Hang the rod you plan to use, prior to measuring for fabric. I purchased simple Continental rods, with a 2 ½” rod pocket from JoAnn Fabric on SALE for less than $11.00 each.

Rod placement is entirely up to the individual. In my situation, I mounted the rod simply 1” outside of the frame (just enough to accommodate the hardware); however, I needed some height to my valance to balance things in my room, so I hung the actual rod 12” above the top frame of my window.  You may also hang the rod even with the top frame of the window. This measurement is entirely something you determine based on your windows and what look you would like to achieve. 

 Window Treatment Fabric
This valance does not leave much room for error, meaning, your measurements for your fabric should include the following:

      ·         Width and depth of mounted rod end to end

·         Add enough fabric to accommodate a 3-inch (final measurement) rod pocket at the top

(Don’t forget to allow about an extra 1/2-inch for your finished edge on the hem)

·         Measure  and add enough fabric for a 3-inch FINISHED bottom hem

(Don’t forget to allow an extra 1/2-inch for your finished edge on the hem)

·         Side seams 2.5” finished (add 3-inches for a total of 6-inches for width on measurements)

·         If you would like to add a trim in the same place that I did in the photo, the measurement     would be rod end to end plus 2-inches

****If your material requires a match of any kind ask for assistance at the fabric counter prior to having it cut.

Lining
Lining a window treatment, especially in this case, is necessary. This improves the appearance of the
treatment both inside and out.  When choosing a lining I usually use Sateen, a nice strong fabric.
(or your personal choice)

Measuring for lining-

·         Cut the lining the same length as your fabric but 6-inches narrower in width

 
Sewing Instructions for Valance

1.       Choose and prepare fabric joining the fabric and lining (right sides together) and finish  stitch seams on both sides. (leave both ends open)

2.       Fold fabric & lining so that you have a 2 ½-inch side hem on both sides of panel. Press & stitch.

3.       Finish top edge of fabric by folding down 1/2-inch and stitching. Press.

4.       Fold down top of fabric 3-inches, press, pin and stitch. This creates your top rod pocket.  Press again.

5.       If you are adding a trim, this is stitched just BELOW the rod pocket seam—making sure to   not interfere with the rod pocket.

6.       Finish bottom edge of fabric in the same manner as rod pocket top. Press.

Slip rod through top valance pocket, and hang. At this point you must determine the length that is appropriate for your window and taste. Once you determine where you would like the curtain to fall, measure from the top of the rod to the point you want the drapery to fall on the window.

 
Sewing instructions for the Valance Carrier

 1. Cut 2 pieces of 2-inch wide fabric per window for carriers. (or wider if you prefer) The length is determined by the above measurements you took determining where you would like your curtain to fall. (above)  Mine in the photos is as follows: I hung the carrier 8-inches in from the end of the rod on each side, and down 22-inches. This created the kind of swoop that I needed for my particular window.

 ****For this I needed 2; 2-inch wide by 46-inch long pieces of fabric per window.  Sew right sides together with small seam, turn fabric inside out, and press. Slide over the rod and adjust to your own taste, pin and stitch ends closed.  You may pin and stitch OR if you prefer use the glue gun. Again, it is your personal preference.
 
 
I hope these directions help you create something beautiful!

***If you have further questions, please contact me. at:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment