Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Delicious Jicama!

If you have ever had time to really peruse the fresh vegetable section of the grocery store you
will see some very odd looking vegetables. I have asked myself, how do you cook this, how do you eat this?

A few years ago my entire family was coming for a visit to our Longwood, Florida home. When we have a house full of guests, I am always looking for recipes that can be made ahead so that my kitchen time is limited while entertaining. Besides, catching up with family and pool time was much more fun than being stuck in the kitchen!

I came across a recipe that had a Mexican root vegetable called Jicama in it. When I located it at the grocery store I couldn't believe how ugly and hard it was. It's appearance is ovalish in shape, light tan/brown skin on the outside, and a creamy white crunchy center; something I would never have purchased had this recipe not called for it. (Don't be afraid to ask your produce person to help
you locate it.)

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and delicious this recipe is. Jicama is delightful, crunchy and
mixed with the citrus dressing and additional ingredients becomes a nice light summer salad. Making it ahead just enhances the flavor......in fact I prefer it that way. Be prepared to make a double batch...........it makes a great picnic salad too!

Hope you enjoy your jicama!


Jicama, Tomato and Black Bean Salad

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk together lime juice, garlic, and cumin in a large mixing bowl; slowly whisk in oil.
Add beans, jicama, tomatoes, onion and cilantro. Toss to combine, season with salt and
pepper, and serve.

Makes 4 (1 cup servings)
YUMMY---Calories per serving 190

***This recipe was taken from the South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook














No comments:

Post a Comment