Monday, July 1, 2013

Delicious and Oh So Easy!

It always seems like weekends pass by so quickly. My husband and I have learned to use our time together wisely, doing what we both enjoy.

We usually spend our days exploring, eating our lunches or brunches in cute little venues that we find along the way to our destination. Our dinners, however, are usually spent at home. Keep in mind our lifestyle is "simple and easy," so are our meals.

This past weekend my husband surprised me with a shopping trip to Best Buy. With my birthday approaching, and because I have created this new blog, he decided I needed a new camera to complete the package. He always does his due-diligence ahead of time, and so he was equipped with his internet camera comparisons in hand as we walked into the store. Our end result was kind of a compromise in what he thought I needed, and what I wanted. It is perfect! I am so excited that my next blog will showcase photos with my new camera!!

It was dinner time when we finally got home from our camera search. We stopped and picked up some fresh NJ scallops, and corn on the cob. I pan seared the scallops in olive oil, then added a bit of white white, garlic and parsley, so easy! I had found this new recipe for a side dish  that I had been wanting to try that required 3 ears of fresh corn, so it was a perfect compliment to the scallops.

Well, let's just say that my husband, asked for the same Mexican corn dish on Saturday and Sunday----that's how delish it is!!  It would really work well with just about any type of meat also.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!


MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD

  • 3 ears of corn (about 1.5 - 2 cups kernels)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, roasted and chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
  • 2-3 tablespoons mayo ( I used 2)
  • juice from 2-3 limes (I used 2)
  • 1/3 cup crumbled cotija (or feta) cheese (I used feta)
  • a big handful of cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoke paprika
  • salt to taste
  • Sriracha, or other hot sauce for serving (optional)--I used Sriracha and put a few squirts into recipe--yum!
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat a large skillet, add the olive oil to coat the bottom. When it is very hot, add the corn and garlic clove. (I blotted some of the juices off the corn with paper towel prior to putting it in the pan.) I diced the garlic and left it in the recipe. (the original recipe uses the whole clove to just saute and then removes it.)  Once the kernels are browning on one side (60 seconds), stir and let them continue to cook for a few more minutes.
  2. Turn the heat off and stir in chopped jalapeno, scallions, mayo, lime juice and a bit of salt.
  3. Remove the corn from the pan and top with cotija (feta) cheese, a dusting of paprika, and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings.
  4. If you like spicy, add a few squirts of Sriracha.
NOTES

You may blacken the jalapeno by putting it in a dry skillet for a few minutes on each side and then chop it.

Yield servings--3-4 (In my opinion it is really 2-3 small servings.) You may want to double the recipe because it is sooooooo good!


*****This recipe was found on loveandlemons.com     Thank you!
















1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish...will have to try that one soon. Still love Ina's corn salad that you turned me onto also!

    ReplyDelete