Friday, November 13, 2015

HUBBY'S MOM'S PUMPKIN COOKIES

Welcome to Foodie Friday friends!

It all started with an article in Country Living magazine.They were requesting submissions on their Instagram page of vintage recipe boxes. What defines vintage you ask.....something that is at least 20 years old or more. 

Well, since my recipe box was a bridal shower gift "39" years ago, I submitted my recipe box photo to Country Living Instagram. Do any of you remember this type of box? Can you tell how much I have used mine through the years? What does your recipe box look like? Is it more than 20 years old?

My trusty box has moved across the country and back with me, keeping all of my recipes safe, allowing me to now share with my family and with you!



My box is full of new and old recipes from family and friends through the years. As I started sorting through them I came across some wonderful recipes that I had completely forgotten about; like hubby's Mom's Pumpkin Cookies!

When I first started dating my husband his mom made these cookies and not only did he love them, I did too! This continued on when our girls were born. I added raisins for the girls to change it up a bit, one of my mother-in-law's suggestions. The cookies are really light and airy and are a nice pumpkin treat in the Fall.





Here is the recipe:

VINTAGE PUMPKIN COOKIES

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin (I used pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
12 cup chopped nuts or raisins
1 egg
1/2 tsp. cinammon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ginger

Combine ingredients and beat until smooth. Drop 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie on to cookie sheet. I use a cookie scoop.

This recipe makes approx. 27 cookies.

Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees. The bottoms will be slightly brown as shown in the 
photo below. Be careful not to overbake!











I hope you enjoy my mother-in-laws cookies as much as my family does. Have a 
wonderful weekend.

  HAPPY BAKING!

   Kathleen


5 comments: