Friday, December 19, 2014

IT'S TIME FOR COOKIES!

Welcome to our "MERRY" Foodie Friday!

It's that time of year when we dust off the favorite holiday cookie recipes, turn on the Christmas music, and bake the day away! The smell of these "special holiday" cookies permeating the house, brings fond memories of Christmases past.

Today's blog is all about the cookies that my family affectionately refers to as their favorites......



#1-Paula Deen's Snowflake Cookies

These cookies are like a sugar cookie with a nice crisp bite to them. I love using snowflake cookie cutters decorating them with different types of sparkling sugars, edible glitters, and drag'ees. 



This year I bought a new giant snowflake cookie cutter from Williams Sonoma. The center is easily removed when cutting which makes it look even more festive like and such a beautiful presentation on a cookie platter.




I drizzle frosting (Vanilla Wilton in the squeeze bottle), then add crushed candy canes, drag'ees or edible glitter. So simple!



I also added a deer head to my cookie cutter collection this year. Check out the little guy on the top right of the platter. I used Nutella for his face, decorative cookie sprinkles for his eyes and nose, and red edible glitter for his antlers. So fun!

Here is the recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/snowflake-cookies-recipe.html



#2 Raspberry Almond Thumbprint 

My husband, middle daughter and my brother love Raspberry Almond Thumbprint cookies. (upper left and lower right on platter) Just a hint of almond in the batter topped with a seedless raspberry jam center. Squiggle some vanilla frosting over the top.....and there you have it! YUMMY!

Here is the recipe:
http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2534/raspberry-almond-shortbread-thumbprints



#3 Peanut Butter Cookies with Hershey Kisses

Two of my daughters love the Peanut Butter Cookies with Hershey Kisses. I've tried many versions of this recipe, but this one seems foolproof---at least for me!  It's a tried and true recipe that's loved by more than just my daughters! 

Here is the recipe:
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/lv2ae5y1/peanut-butter-cookies-with-hershey-kisses.html

#4 Orange Mexican Wedding Cookies

And finally my favorite....because I love a little cookie with my coffee.......Orange Mexican Wedding Cookies (in the center of the platter). I always add a bit more orange zest because I love the flavor as it melds with the confectioners sugar. Pure heaven!



What are your family's favorite cookies? Please feel free to share your traditions and recipes with us. We'd love to hear from you!


Wishing you a wonderful weekend filled with the warmth and magic of the holiday season!

Kathleen

2 comments: