Monday, September 8, 2014

INSPIRATION & SWEET MEMORIES VIGNETTE

Thanks so much for visiting The Lavender Bouquet--I hope you enjoy your visit today. 

I spent my weekend doing the much dreaded outdoor clean-up and removing all of the plants from my patio pots. I love fall for so many reasons, however, I'm always a bit sad when the colorful flowers of spring and summer come to an end.

I stopped by the grocery store today to pick up a few items and as I entered there were beautiful bouquets of deep pink Cockscomb (Celosia) on display. If you aren't familiar with this beautiful flower this may jog your memory---



These flowers are sometimes referred to as Wool Flowers or Brain Celosia, referring to the color of the brain.Their heads range from 2-5 inches across and they have a strong leafy stem. They bloom from late summer through late fall. I've never grown them, but am tempted to try them next spring.

Arranging Cockscomb in a vase couldn't be simpler. They display best keeping them in a tight bouquet because they have a flat side to them. They may be dried if you prefer also.  All I added were sprigs of tall twigs adorned with lime berries.

Take a look at the coffee table vignette that all began with inspiration from the Cockscomb.



Speaking of inspiration......as I was setting up the vignette.  I came across a very special gift from some dear friends. They gifted us this beautiful book when we were moving from Ohio. It's titled, Where Love Resides-Reflections on Love and Life. The book is about quiltmakers. It showcases the blocks that represent each quiltmakers declaration of love. The final quilt is called Where Love Resides.


I started re-reading some of pages and leafing through the beautiful photographs. The photos of the quilt blocks are the handiwork of many talented women ultimately culminating into one quilt.  Below is a list of the blocks represented on the quilt:

Sisterhood
The Home
Your Dreams
Motherhood
Nature
Creativity
Passion
Marriage
Community

Wrapping ourselves in a quilt like this, is like surrounding  
ourselves with the people and places that have enriched our lives. As a blanket makes us feel cozy and warm, so does this quilt of Love.

There are days that we all need inspiration and comfort. My day started with a decision to buy some beautiful flowers and ended with the warm memories of old friends.

What about your day? What inspires you?

Wishing you a day filled with sweet memories!

Kathleen


***Please stop by back on Wednesday for a little Fall inspiration! 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen, I don't think I've ever seen cockscomb in the grocery but boy those are beautiful, and it does mimic the folds of a brain. That combo you have is gorgeous.
    I'm unable to respond to you when you comment on my blog posts for whatever reason, but I want you to know I appreciate each and every visit and comment. I'll just let you know by my return visits here on your blog. It took a couple of comments from you before I connected your profile names/pictures as all being you, lol.
    Btw, great feature post of you on Kris' blog. I love Kris & Susan's series - what a great way to meet new blog buddies.
    Have a great week.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,
      It was great hearing from you! Thank you for your comments....Kris and Susan are great ladies.
      I must "thank you" for alerting me to the comment issue. As you know I am a newbie at all of this and have so much to learn. I believe I just took care of the problem. Please let me know if you try again and it doesn't work or use the blog whatever is easier.
      Have a wonderful day!
      Kathleen

      Delete