Friday, May 16, 2014

MY SUPER KALE CABBAGE SALAD--COSTCO KNOCKOFF!

A couple months ago my friend in Florida invited me to her house for dinner. She made a delicious Brazilian fish dish and served a great salad with it. When I asked her for the salad recipe she smiled, and said. " it's from Costco and she showed me the bag.  It's called SuperFood....Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad. This salad was amazing and it comes pre-packaged with all ingredients included. The kit includes shredded broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, chicory, dried cranberries, roasted pumpkin seeds and poppyseed dressing.
.
Since the Costco close to me in NJ is not quite ready to open, I decided to pack the salad in my suitcase and bring it back to NJ with me. It was then I realized how silly that was....so I made my own recipe that's pretty close to theirs.

SUPER KALE CABBAGE SALAD


  1. Cabbage Slaw, (I buy Rainbow Slaw with Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots and Red Cabbage in it)
  2. 1- bunch Kale  (I used Lacinato--cut into  fine ribbons)
  3. 3 oz.  dried cranberries (or Cherries)
  4. 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  5. Poppy Seed Dressing. (I use Maple Grove Farms of Vermont, Fat Free, Poppyseed Dressing)
Rinse the slaw and the kale, and spin the water out with a salad spinner.  Add the kale, cranberries, almonds, and poppyseed dressing.  One tablespoon of dressing is 35 calories. Add between 6-8 tablespoons of dressing depending on your taste, stir well, and refrigerate.



This salad tastes better as it marinates. Make it in the morning, serve it in the evening or even better the next day!  Stir well each time.  It is packed full of super ingredients and very low in calories.

This salad would be great  to bring to a Memorial Day picnic. Give it a try........it's tested and approved by the hubby too!



                                      Wishing you a SUPER day and a wonderful weekend!

                                                                     Kathleen


**Don't forget to share your thoughts after you make it. It will be interesting to see if you love it as much as I do.

3 comments:

  1. Kale, cabbage, cranberries and poppy seed dressing...what a combo...I think, I must try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costco Sweet Kale Salad is the king of salads. First time I had it (Christmas 2013) I was hooked and have bought one bag per week ever since. Moved to Brisbane, Australia four months ago and a Costco opened here in Australia. It's about an hour away. We went last week and I was so giddy with excitement that I forgot to check the salads. Will be going next week to get some turkeys for Christmas and I will wipe the store out of Kale salad if they have it. I will make some in the meantime with your recipe.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete