Friday, November 8, 2013

Foodie Friday--YUMMY Apple Crostata

This week we had friends in visiting from out of town for lunch at our house. I haven't held a luncheon in quite some time. My lunch skills were a bit rusty so I starting browsing for ideas. Since it is Fall, my first thoughts gravitated to a nice warm soup, something hearty. Our friends were headed to a soccer game after they left our house, so they needed something to hold them over because they would most likely be having a late dinner.

I came across a recipe that my husband and I both love for soup; Ellie Krieger's Beef & Mushroom Barley. (see link below) At first, I thought a nice warm sandwich would be a good accompaniment to the soup, however, the idea was to visit and catch up with our friends, not stand at the stove top. I had to keep things easy. I quickly changed my mind and searched for a tasty side salad. I came across an easy Ina Garten recipe for Orzo with Roasted Vegetables that I could make ahead. I added a sliced Ciabatta baquette and dessert. Again, using Ina Garten and her Apple Crostata recipe for dessert completed the meal. (see link below)

 Ellie Krieger-(The Food You Crave fromCookbook --http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-and-mushroom-barley-soup-450503),

Ina Garten-Barefoot Contessa Parties Cookbook (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/apple-crostata-recipe/index.html
and http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/orzo-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

I have never made a Crostata before. I have made pies for years, but not a Crostata.  A Crostata is an Italian baked tart in the form of a pie. It is actually quite easy. I have included a set of visual steps below for you. I was a bit rusty with my pie crust skills. Next time I would like my disk shape to be more perfect.......without the little tears in it. Darn tears!

Apparently, tears weren't a problem----I passed the tasty test. Both my husband and our guests all seemed to enjoy the Crostata very much!
STEPS TO MAKING APPLE CROSTATA



My Crostata is displayed on a beautiful platter that was a gift from my husband's nephew, and family from Brazil. It is simply gorgeous----I love the detail!

Since apples are so plentiful right now why not give the Apple Crostata a try? It is easy and so delicious warm!  Some say a bit of whip cream OR vanilla ice cream might complete the package!

I hope you enjoyed this Foodie Friday segment. Now go practice up on those pie skills to impress your family and friends. Please share a photo with us if you decide to make one yourself.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

CHEERS!
K

        

No comments:

Post a Comment